Gold is one of the most precious pieces of jewelry other than diamond and platinum. But the popularity is more compared to the other two.
Gold jewelry is one such metal that can be changed into different patterns due to its malleability and duct ability. However, it is also important to know the ways how to maintain it.
It is used for daily use and so it tends to get grubby quickly as it comes in contact with the oils, sweat, and dirt of your body.
Therefore it is vital to polish the gold jewelry regularly from time to time to make them appear clean and shiny.
Some pieces of gold jewelry contain precious stones and gems, so it is advisable to make them clean professionally in any jewelry shop. For home cleaning of gold jewelry, the following tips can be helpful.
How to Clean Gold Jewelry the Right Way at Home
There are different jewelry cleaning solutions available in the market specially created to clean gold items. These solutions are very effective and safe if used on genuine gold items.
But you can also clean your gold jewelry at home. Here are some easy tips to help you make them sparkle at home.
- Add 1/5 tsp. of mild dish detergent to a bowl of warm water.
- Add a few drops of ammonia to it.
- Now dip your gold jewelry in the solution and keep them for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Take out the jewelry and clean it with a new baby-size soft toothbrush.
- Then rinse it in lukewarm water.
- Pat dry the gold item carefully using a soft cloth or paper towel.
- Always be gentle during the brushing and drying process as gold is a soft metal.
- Always use non-abrasive jewelry cleaners available in the market.
- Harsh cleaners like bleach, toothpaste should not be used while cleaning gold.
- It is important to dry the jewelry completely before storing them.
- Do not use gold jewelry while having a bath or swimming, as daily exposure the soap and chlorine may dull them.
How Do You Clean Gold Jewelry With Precious Stones?
You need to follow different methods to clean different precious stones. Here are some easy ways you should follow to clean your gold jewelry with precious stones.
Torquise, emeralds, or opals
Gold jewelry with stones like turquoise, emeralds, and opals is porous.
So, you should only use mild dish soap and water to clean them without any damage.
Pearls should be cleaned very carefully and gently as they are very delicate.
Put some gentle shampoo in a little warm water. Dip your makeup brush in the solution to clean pearls.
Rubies, diamonds, or sapphires
Gold jewelry with precious stones like rubies, sapphires, or diamonds can be cleaned by following the method stated above.
Things to Avoid When Cleaning Gold Jewelry
As we all know gold is a soft metal and has a quite high chance of tarnishing if it is not pure and a mixture of other metals. so, here are some hazards to avoid while cleaning them.
Chlorine can permanently discolor or damage your gold items at high temperatures like in a tub containing hot water. So remove it when cleaning with bleach or chlorine.
the blue dawn dish soap should be used to clean gold jewelry. Avoid using soaps or body washes with unknown ingredients that may damage your gold item.
It is best to take off the gold jewelry before showering as body washes used while bathing can get accumulated.
When to Visit Your Jeweler?
Visiting your jeweler to get your gold ornaments clean can be a good idea.
They are professional in cleaning and making your jewelry sparkle without any damage.
Although you can follow the methods shared above to clean your gold jewelry at home but your jeweler has different safe techniques to clean your ornaments even with precious stones set in them.
So, for an expert clean up visit your jeweler once in 6 months to get your gold jewelry clean.