Some people suffer from chronic dandruff problems that can cause redness and serious irritation. So, they avoid social situations as it can be embarrassing for them.
Dandruff on the scalp and hair is common but it can be seen anywhere hair grows.
Dandruff can affect your eyebrows and eyelashes. Dandruff in eyelashes or eyebrows can be genetic or chronic.
It makes you look ugly and thus, can be quite frustrating for you. You will notice your eyelash line to be flaky and red.
Eyelash dandruff can also be crusty and itchy which is very annoying.
Here are some effective and simple remedies that you can try to get rid of eyelash dandruff. We will also discuss some causes of having dandruff on eyelashes.
What Causes Dandruff on Eyelashes?
Blepharitis is caused by dry eyes, eyelash mites, bacterial or fungal infections.
Blepharitis can clog the oil glands of the eyelash and thus, cause dandruff on the eyelashes that can irritate your eyes. It can also cause inflammation of the eyelids.
Seborrheic dermatitis is a chronic condition that is caused by an irregular response of the immune system.
It can make the skin of your eyelash red and cause flaky and oily dandruff.
How to Get Rid of Eyelash Dandruff?
Here are some amazingly simple remedies to get rid of dandruff from your eyelashes.
Use Baby Shampoo
Using baby shampoo can be very effective in removing eyelash dandruff.
It also helps to remove dead skin cells, built-up oil, and microorganisms that clog the pores in the lash line.
As these shampoos are specially designed to be non-irritating and gentle so, they can treat itchy and irritating feelings and also remove eyelash mites without causing worse irritation.
- Take a glass of water and mix a single squirt of baby shampoo.
- Mix the solution well then, take a cotton Q-tip and dip it into the solution.
- Now hold your eyelid and run the Q-tip across the lash line.
- Repeat the process once or twice.
Rinse your eyes well with warm water to remove the shampoo. Repeat the process once or twice a day until you get visible results.
Always apply the solution to both the lower and upper lash lines on each eye. You might also like: Is Using a Dry Shampoo really Bad for Your Hair and Scalp?
Apply Almond Oil
Besides removing dandruff from your eyelashes almond oil can soothe the area around your eyes and also remove dead skin cells. Applying almond oil can help in hair growth by nourishing the hair follicles of your eyelashes.
- Before going to bed apply some warm almond oil to your eyelashes.
- You need to heat a tbsp. of almond oil before applying and massage gently.
- Leave it overnight and wash it with cool water the next morning.
- Repeat the process to get the desired result.
Using aloe Vera can be very effective in treating several skin problems like rashes, sunburns, and itchy skin. It contains soothing properties that can help you to get rid of eyelash dandruff without irritation.
Hold your eyelid taut and apply some aloe Vera to both lower and upper lash lines using a cotton swab. After 5 minutes rinse your eyes with warm water.
Warm Compress for Eyelash Dandruff
Taking a warm compress can be a good idea to get rid of dandruff caused by blepharitis. Besides, reducing swelling and pain a warm compress can remove oil and dirt from your eyelashes.
- Take some hot water in a bowl and dip a soft towel into the water.
- Remove the excess water from the towel and place it on your eyelashes.
- Apply slight pressure and then, remove it.
- Repeat the process for 5 minutes to get relief from pain and swelling.
Use Lemon Juice
Lemon juice contains citric acid and antimicrobial agents that can be quite effective in removing dandruff from your eyelashes. It can also treat fungal infections caused by dandruff.
- Mix one tbsp. of lemon juice with 1/4 cup of water.
- Apply this solution to the affected area using a cotton ball.
- Leave the solution for 5 minutes then, wash off with cold water.
Follow this method twice a day to get the desired result.
Salt Can Be Useful
You might not think about applying salt anywhere near your eyes but, using salt can be very effective in treating eyelash dandruff. Using salt can prevent fungal infection and thus, reduces the chances of getting dandruff on your eyelashes. It also cleans the pores of the eyelashes by absorbing oil.
- Take 1/4 cup of water and mix a tbsp. of salt in it.
- Now, close your eyes and apply some saltwater on your eyelashes.
- Use your fingers to exfoliate gently then, wash off with water.
Apply Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil contains anti-fungal properties and thus, can help you to get rid of eyelash dandruff easily.
- Take a tbsp. of tea tree oil and heat it.
- Use a cotton ball to apply the oil to your eyelashes.
- Leave it for 10 to 15 minutes then, use warm water to wash it off.
- Follow this process 3 times a day.
Extra Tips to Treat Dandruff on Eyelashes
Other than the remedies given above here are some extra tips for you to get rid of eyelash dandruff quickly.
Most skin and hair issues can be treated by keeping yourself properly hydrated. Drink lots of water and eat fresh fruits and vegetables. Avoid taking alcohol, caffeine, or junk food.
Adequate vitamins can help you to prevent eyelash dandruff. So, take lots of vitamins.
Dandruff on your eyelashes can be caused if you do not remove the makeup properly before going to bed at night. So, clean your eyelashes properly to remove excess makeup from the area around your eyes.
You can get rid of dandruff by using lemon juice, natural oils, and aloe Vera gel.
Hyaluronic Acid Drops
Dryness of eyes can also cause eyelash dandruff. When our body produces less amount of hyaluronic acid then, we can get the problem of dry eyes. So, to get rid of eyelash dandruff you can use hyaluronic acid drops.
When to See a Doctor?
Even after trying these treatments and tips if you cannot get rid of your eyelash dandruff then, you should see an ophthalmologist.
You can also consult a knowledgeable dermatologist for the same.
A doctor can prescribe you different ointments, washes, and creams which are safe to use and can be effective in removing dandruff from your eyelashes.
The home remedies shared above can help you to get rid of eyelash dandruff without causing any harm to your eyes.
But even after trying all home remedies and over-the-counter products if your eyelash dandruff does not go away then, make an appointment with your dermatologist to get a dandruff-free plan.
A professional opinion with effective treatment can help you to get rid of eyelash dandruff in no time.