Perioral means “around the mouth”. Perioral dermatitis is a small red bump that can be seen around the mouth.
It is a skin condition that mainly affects the face but, sometimes these small bumps can be seen around the nose and eyes.
If the condition is serious then you will notice extreme flaky and inflamed skin which may bleed as well.
Mild cases result in red, irritated skin with mild flakes or scabs. Burning and itching are also common and there may be some clear fluid discharge as well.
In this article, we will share with you how to get rid of perioral dermatitis without antibiotics. But before that let us find out what causes perioral dermatitis.
Causes of Perioral Dermatitis
As perioral dermatitis looks like acne so, it is often misdiagnosed. Studies show that perioral dermatitis can be caused by some sunscreen, Fluorinated toothpaste, and cosmetics.
It can be also caused by topical or oral-nasal steroids, unclean skin, or hormonal changes.
How to Cure Perioral Dermatitis Without Antibiotics?
Here are some natural remedies for treating perioral dermatitis. These remedies will help to balance the skin microbiome.
But performing a Double Patch Test before trying out these remedies is recommended. Related Post: 4 Things to Treat Infected Nose Piercing Bump Without Closing It
Double Patch Test
To perform the double patch test you need to apply a thin layer on a small area of your face where you do not have the perioral bumps and leave it overnight.
The next morning if you find everything is fine and there is no reaction of the ingredient on the face then you can apply a thin layer over the perioral bumps on your face. If you notice visible results then follow the remedy daily.
But if itching or any other reactions occur then, wash away the area with lukewarm water and stop following the remedy.
Use Plain Yogurt
Organic yogurt contains lactic acid that nourishes and exfoliates your skin. Organic plain yogurt also contains probiotic bacteria.
That can make your skin healthier by balancing the skin microbiome and strengthening your immune system.
Mix some turmeric with the plain yogurt as turmeric has anti-inflammatory properties. Apply a thin layer of it on your face and the area of perioral dermatitis.
Let it dry out for 15 minutes and then wash your face with lukewarm water. But make sure you use organic and plain yogurt. You might also like: Cure Ringworm Fast: 9 Natural Treatments That Work
Use Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is very effective in treating several skin conditions. Using aloe vera allows the skin to heal quickly as it contains vitamin C and E and beta-carotene. It also keeps your skin hydrated.
Squeeze the juice from fresh aloe vera leaf and apply it on your skin especially on the area of the dermatitis bumps.
You can also use organic aloe vera gel that is available in the market if you get a reaction to fresh aloe vera.
Herbal Tea Toner to Cure Perioral Dermatitis
Herbal tea like chamomile tea contains antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. It can be very effective in treating perioral dermatitis.
Boil 2 organic chamomile tea bags with ½ cup of water. When it cools downpour it in a container and use this toner on the area of the bumps with the help of cotton.
You can keep this toner in the fridge and use it whenever needed. It is also suitable for oily skin. Also Read: 14 Effective Ways to Get Rid of Hickeys and Stop The Embarrassment
Try Raw Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)
Apple cider vinegar balances the skin’s ph balance and kills bad bacteria.
You need to use ACV after diluting it. Mix 1/ 2 cup of water with 1 tablespoon of unfiltered and raw apple cider vinegar. Gently apply it on your face with help of a cotton pad.
To get the best result you can follow this remedy daily. But if you notice any redness or irritation then, stop using it.
Things to Avoid if You Have Perioral Dermatitis
- Avoid using sponges, facial brushes, and other tools as these can accumulate bacteria.
- Avoid using shampoo, conditioners, and cleansers that contain sodium Laureth sulfate and sodium lauryl sulfate.
- Use warm water and a gentle toner to clean your face instead of face scrubs. You can also use chamomile tea to get an effective result.
- Do not use non prescribed nasal sprays and hydrocortisone. Also, avoid using creams that contain a steroid.
- Do not use mouthwash and toothpaste that contain irritants like menthol or fluoride.
- Stop drinking water that contains fluoride .use a filter to remove fluoride from drinking water.
- Avoid using heavy makeup products and sunscreen as well.
- Do not rub your skin with anything.
- Avoid using essential oils and heavy creams.
- Do not use vitamin C serums and chemical exfoliates.
- Avoid using hair spraying products as it comes in contact with your face as well.
- Stop using retinoids.
- Avoid using makeup and skincare products that have high fragrances.
So these are some natural remedies to cure perioral dermatitis without antibiotics. These natural remedies can help heal the skin barrier too. Check with your physician to find out more.
- Effective Ways to Prevent Bed Bugs From Entering Your Home
- Eczema Remedies: How You Can Treat It Naturally at Home