During pregnancy, some women may wonder whether they can use hair dye or bleach on their hair.
Though bleaching products do not contain any harmful chemicals but still important to know how these chemicals are metabolized and absorbed.
The chemicals present in bleaching agents or permanent and semi-permanent hair dyes are not always highly toxic.
So, proof shows that there is no harm in bleaching or coloring your hair during pregnancy.
Research has shown that bleaching products for hair contain 6 to 10 percent of hydrogen peroxide. So, due to the low concentration of hydrogen peroxide, these can get absorbed and metabolized easily.
But it is better to avoid bleaching your hair during the first trimester because that is the time when the fetus in the womb is more sensitive to chemicals.
How to Use Hair Dye or Bleach During Pregnancy?
- Using hair dye during pregnancy can make your skin more sensitive. So, before applying always perform a strand test.
- Always wear gloves before using any hair dye or color during pregnancy.
- Do not leave the dye on your hair for too long.
- Always use hair dye and color in a well-ventilated room.
- Once the time is up, rinse off the dye from your hair thoroughly.
- It is better to get highlights on your hair than bleaching all of your hair. Because while highlighting the color is used only on the hair shaft and not the scalp. And as the bleach does not touch the skin so, it also reduces any kind of risk.
- Vegetable-based dyes such as henna can be a better option to color your hair during pregnancy. You can also lighten your hair by applying chamomile tea.
- Is It Normal to Have Back Pain During Early Pregnancy
- Dry Shampoo really Bad for Your Hair and Scalp?
Is It Safe to Do Bleaching Hair While Pregnant?
Due to hormonal changes hair grows very fast during pregnancy. So, you might need to color or dye your hair more often.
Sometimes pregnant women can get nauseous due to the presence of ammonia in the bleaching products.
This is because during pregnancy women become very sensitive to smells. You might also like: How to Avoid Excessive Weight Gain during Pregnancy
Sometimes the very high doses of chemicals present in hair dyes can cause harm during pregnancy. But you don’t have to worry because the amount of hair dye or color needed to color your hair contains very less amount of chemicals that do not cause any harm.
A study has shown that there was a risk of neuroblastoma among children whose mothers used hair dye during pregnancy.
But this result was further not repeated in any other studies. So before using any hair dye or color during pregnancy, it is better to perform a strand test.
So it is safe to do bleaching hair while pregnant. But sometimes your hair might be more absorbent or frizzy because of the rise in the levels of hormones.
During pregnancy, your hair may react differently to some treatments. So it best to do a strand test before applying any hair dye or color.
You can use more natural colors than those with chemicals during pregnancy. Also, consult your doctor for advice.
- What Foods to Eat During Pregnancy for a Fair Baby
- Is it Safe to Take Aloe Vera When You are Pregnant?
- How to Handle Sciatic Nerve Pain During Your Pregnancy
Image License: pexels.com, pixabay.com under Creative Commons License